Book Journal Article International Conferences Media
-  Kaori Wakabayashi, Yuji Tanaka and Hideki Abe (2017) Field Guide to Marine Plankton. Bun-ichi Sogo Shuppan, Tokyo, 180 pp. (In Japanese) Information
-  Yuji Tanaka and Kaori Wakabayashi (2016) Ibacus spp. In A Handbook on Fisheries Science, Chapter 5 Biological Production. (Eds) T. Takeuchi, H. Nakata, T. Wada,
H. Ueda, T. Arimoto, S. Watabe, A. Nakamae and O. Hashimoto. Seibutsukenkyusha,
Tokyo, pp. 256-257. (In Japanese) Information
-  *Kaori Wakabayashi (2017) Is jellyfish useful as food for juvenile production of spiny and slipper lobsters? Bulletin of the Plankton Society of Japan, 64, 142-144. (In Japanese) Information
-  *Kaori Wakabayashi (2017) Embryonic development of the sea butterfly Desmopterus papilio (Gastropoda: Thecosomata). Invertebrate Reproduction and Development, 61, 142-146. PDF
-  Kaori Wakabayashi, Chien-Hui Yang, *Jhy-Yun Shy, Chang-Hong He and Tin-Yam Chan (2017) Correct identification and redescription of the larval stages and early juveniles of the slipper lobster Eduarctus martensii (Pfeffer, 1881) (Decapoda: Scyllaridae). Journal of Crustacean Biology, 37, 204-219. PDF
-  *Kaori Wakabayashi (2016) The secret of the jellyfish rider. Umiushi-tsushin, 92, 2-3. (In Japanese) Information
-  *Michiya Kamio, Kaori Wakabayashi, Hiroshi Nagai and Yuji Tanaka (2016) Phyllosomas of smooth fan lobsters (Ibacus novemdentatus) encase jellyfish cnidae in peritrophic membranes in their feces. Plankton and Benthos Research, 11, 100-104. PDF
-  *Kaori Wakabayashi and Bruce F. Phillips (2016) Morphological descriptions of laboratory reared larvae and post-larvae of the Australian shovel-nosed lobster Thenus australiensis Burton and Davie, 2007 (Decapoda, Scyllaridae). Crustaceana, 89, 97-117. PDF
-  *Hayate Tanaka and Kaori Wakabayashi (2016) Morphological differences of pedicellariae between egg-shaped and rice grain-shaped specimens in a fibulariid sea urchin Fibulariella acuta (Yoshiwara, 1898) (Echinoidea: Clypeasteroida). TAXA, Proceedings of the Japanese Society of Systematic Zoology, 40, 22-29. PDF
-  Shusaku Otake, *Kaori Wakabayashi, Yuji Tanaka and Kazuya Nagasawa (2016) Life-cycle of Choniomyzon inflatus Wakabayashi, Otake, Tanaka & Nagasawa, 2013 (Copepoda: Siphonostomatoida: Nicothoidae) with the morphological descriptions of the nauplius, copepodid and adult male. Systematic Parasitology, 93, 145-157. PDF
-  *Kaori Wakabayashi, Satomi Nagai and Yuji Tanaka (2016) The complete larval development of Ibacus ciliatus from hatching to the nisto and juvenile stages using jellyfish as the sole diet. Aquaculture, 450, 102-107. PDF
-  *Kaori Wakabayashi, Hiroshi Sato, Yumiko Yoshie-Stark, Mariko Ogushi and Yuji Tanaka (2016) Differences in the biochemical compositions of two dietary jellyfish species and their effects on the growth and survival of Ibacus novemdentatus phyllosomas. Aquaculture Nutrition, 22, 25-33. PDF
-  *Michiya Kamio, Dai Furukawa, Kaori Wakabayashi, Kaori Hiei, Hirona Yano, Hiroshi Sato, Yumiko Yoshie-Stark, Tatsuro Akiba and Yuji Tanaka (2015) Grooming behaviour by elongated third maxillipeds of phyllosoma larvae of the smooth fan lobster riding on jellyfishes. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology, 463, 115-124. PDF
-  Youichi Seto, Mieko Komatsu, *Kaori Wakabayashi and Daisuke Fujita (2013) Asexual reproduction of Coscinasterias acutispina (Stimpson, 1862) in tank culture. Cahiers de Biologie Marine, 54, 641-647. PDF
-  *Kaori Wakabayashi, Shusaku Otake, Yuji Tanaka and Kazuya Nagasawa (2013) Choniomyzon inflatus n. sp. (Crustacea: Copepoda: Nicothoidae) associated with Ibacus novemdentatus (Crustacea: Decapoda: Scyllaridae) from Japanese waters. Systematic Parasitology, 84, 157-165. PDF
-  *Daisuke Uyeno, Kaori Wakabayashi and Kazuya Nagasawa (2012) A new species of parasitic copepod, Sarcotretes umitakae sp. n. (Siphonostomatoida, Pennellidae), on the rattail (Actinopterygii, Macrouridae) from the East China Sea, Japan. ZooKeys, 246, 1-10. PDF
-  *Kaori Wakabayashi, Yuji Tanala (2012) The jellyfish rider: phyllosoma larvae of spiny and slipper lobsters associated with jellyfish. TAXA, Proceedings of the Japanese Society of Systematic Zoology, 33, 5-12. PDF
-  *Kaori Wakabayashi, Riki Sato, Atsushi Hirai, Haruto Ishii, Tatsuro Akiba and Yuji Tanaka (2012) Predation by the phyllosoma larva of Ibacus novemdentatus on various kinds of venomous jellyfish. The Biological Bulletin, 222, 1-5. (in Japanese with English abstract) PDF
-  *Kaori Wakabayashi, Riki Sato, Haruto Ishii, Tatsuro Akiba, Yasuyuki Nogata and Yuji Tanaka (2012) Culture of phyllosomas of Ibacus novemdentatus (Decapoda: Scyllaridae) in a closed recirculating system using jellyfish as food. Aquaculture, 330-333, 162-166. PDF
-  *Kaori Wakabayashi, Mieko Komatsu and Yoichi Kogure (2010) Occurrence of a tropical brittle star, Ophioplocus imbricatus (Echinodermata, Ophiuroidea) in the Kii Peninsula, implying the recent water temperature rises in Japanese waters. Biogeography, 12, 1-8.
-  *Kaori Wakabayashi (2009) Larval development and DNA analysis of juveniles in the interspecific reciprocal cross-fertilizations between two Astropecten species with different modes of development. Biological Science [Tokyo], 60, 240-249. (in Japanese)
-  *Kaori Wakabayashi, Mieko Komatsu, Manabu Murakami, Isao Hori and Tsutomu Takegami (2008) Morphology and gene analysis of hybrids between two congeneric sea stars with different modes of development. The Biological Bulletin, 215, 89-97. PDF
-  *Mieko Komatsu, Daisuke Shibata, Kaori Wakabayashi, Yoichi Kogure, Yasuo T. Kano, Nobuaki Takahashi (2007) Echinoderms in the littoral region of Rishiri Island. Rishiri Studies, 26, 1-14. (in Japanese with English abstract) PDF
-  *Kaori Wakabayashi, Yuji Tanaka and Bruce F. Phillips. Utilisation of jellyfish as food in spiny and slipper lobster aquaculture. 5th International Jellyfish Bloom Symposium. May 30-June 3 2016, in Barcelona, Spain.
-  *Kaori Wakabayashi and Yuji Tanaka. The associative behavior of phyllosomas with jellyfish. 10th International Conference and Workshop on Lobster Biology and Management. May 18-23 2014, in Cancun, Mexico.
-  *Kaori Wakabayashi, Satomi Nagai and Yuji Tanaka. Use of jellyfish as the sole food for rearing phyllosomas of the scyllarid lobster Ibacus ciliatus. 10th International Conference and Workshop on Lobster Biology and Management. May 18-23 2014, in Cancun, Mexico.
-  *Shusaku Otake, Kaori Wakabayashi, Yuji Tanaka and Kazuya Nagasawa. Life history of a parasitic copepod Choniomyzon inflatus mimicking an external egg of the smooth fan lobster Ibacus novemdentatus. Aquaculture 2013. November 3-7 2013, in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain.
-  *Kaori Wakabayashi, Keitaro Matsumura and Yuji Tanaka. Consumption rates of jellyfish by phyllosoma larvae of the smooth fan lobster Ibacus novemdentatus. Aquaculture 2013. November 3-7 2013, in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain.
-  *Kaori Wakabayashi, Mieko Komatsu and Tsutomu Takegami. Molecular phylogenetic analyses and cross-fertilizations in asteroids with key insights into larval evolution. 14th International Echinoderm Conference. August 20-24 2012, in Brussels, Belgium.
-  *Mieko Komatsu, Maya Yonezawa, Kaori Wakabayashi and Francisco A. Solis-Marin. Molecular phylogeny of the so-called “living fossil” starfish Platasterias latiradiata. 14th International Echinoderm Conference. August 20-24 2012, in Brussels, Belgium.
-  Youichi Seto, Mieko Komatsu, Kaori Wakabayashi and *Daisuke Fujita. Asexual reproduction of Coscinasterias acutispina (Stimpson, 1862) in tank culture. 14th International Echinoderm Conference. August 20-24 2012, in Brussels, Belgium.
-  *Yuji Tanaka, Ryo Serita, Kaori Wakabayashi and Tatsuro Akiba. Ephyral ways of feeding: Unbalanced diet of moon jelly larvae. 2012 ASLO Aquatic Sciences Meeting. July 8-13 2012, in Otsu, Japan.
-  *Kaori Wakabayashi and Mieko Komatsu. Unique interspecific relationship between two species of deep-sea starfish. 3rd JAMBIO Forum. January 21 2012, in Tokyo, Japan.
-  *Kaori Wakabayashi, Yumiko Yoshie-Stark, Riki Sato, Haruto Ishii, Tatsuro Akiba and Yuji Tanaka. Toward the establishment of lobster aquaculture technology: 1. Life cycles and larval culture. NUS-TUMSAT The 3rd Bilateral Symposium of Food Science and Technology. December 6-7 2010, in Singapore.
-  *Yumiko Yoshie-Stark, Kaori Wakabayashi, Riki Sato, Haruto Ishii, Tatsuro Akiba and Yuji Tanaka. Toward the establishment of lobster aquaculture technology: 2. Determination of biochemical composition of lobster phyllosoma. NUS-TUMSAT The 3rd Bilateral Symposium of Food Science and Technology. December 6-7 2010, in Singapore.
-  *Kaori Wakabayashi, Riki Sato, Atsushi Hirai, Maria Salvacion Golez-De Guzman, Haruto Ishii, Tatsuro Akiba and Yuji Tanaka. Complete larval development of Ibacus novemdentatus Gibbes, 1850 fed on a diet of jellyfish under laboratory condition. The 7th International Crustacean Congress. June 20-25 2010, in Qingdao, China.
-  *Kaori Wakabayashi, Kentaro Muro, Kanako Honda, Hiroko Shibata, Tsutomu Takegami and Mieko Komatsu. Species identification of juvenile starfish found in the stomach of the deep-sea asteroid by comparing the skeletal system and nucleotide sequence. 5th North American Echinoderm Conference. July 20-25 2008, in Melbourne, Florida, USA.
-  *Kaori Wakabayashi, Tsutomu Takegami, Manabu Murakami, Isao Hori and Mieko Komatsu. Developmental observations of larvae and gene analysis of juveniles cross-fertilized between two congeneric sea-stars with different modes of development. 12th International Echinoderm Conference. August 7-11 2006, in New Hampshire, USA.
- Scientific American: Why lobster larvae harpoon-proof their poo (22 September 2016)
American popular science magazine. The topic is how the phyllosoma withstand the venomous stings by jellyfish.
- The Wire: Lobster young clingwrap jellyfish stingers for dinner (04 September 2016)
A digital web magazine in India. Opinions from outside of our group are also included.
- Quartz: Baby lobsters "surf" jellyfish while they eat them (02 September 2016)
A digital global business news publication owned by "Atlantic Media." Behaviour of lobster larvae and prospects of lobster aquaculture are discussed.
- Ocean Views: How lobsters eat jellyfish without harm from venomous stingers (28 August 2016)
A blog owned by the American magazine "National Geographic." The topic is the lobster larvae preventing from jellyfish stings.
- D-brief: Jellyfish serve as lobster taxis — and dinner (25 August 2016)
A blog owned by the American magazine "Discover." Habits of lobster larvae living with jellyfish are introduced.
- Hiroshima University Research: For World Oceans Day (8 June 2016)
Web magazine introducing researches in Hiroshima University. The topic is lobster larvae eating jellyfish.
- SverigeSRadio (Swedish National Radio): En liftare du inte vill plocka upp (25 April 2015)
Radio program in Sweden. The topic is grooming behaviour of phyllosomas.
- Oceanbites: Yee-haw! This jellyfish-riding lobster has special appendages to keep clean and be carried on (12 February 2015)
Pages in University of Rohde Island, explaining recent scientific papers in oceanographic fields in a way that non-experts can understand. The topic is phyllosoma's appendages specialised to grooming.
- New Scientist: Baby lobster with a taste for jellyfish surfing (16 December 2014)
Scientific magazine in UK. The topic is the associative behaviour of phyllosoma with jellyfish.
- Parasite of the Day: Choniomyzon inflatus (12 January 2014)
Blog by american parasitologists. The topic is the copepod associating with an egg mass of Ibacus novemdentatus.
Back to the page top