1. How LULC changes (coastal urbanization) relate to subsidence and relative sea-level rise in Southeast Asia?
- The trend of LULC changes (coastal urbanization) in coastal cities
- The trend of subsidence in coastal cities
- Infrastructure (mainline and lifeline) development in coastal cities
- Trend of sea-level rise in coastal cities
- Trend and frequency of coastal flooding in coastal cities
2. Coastal Zone Health Index (CoZHI)
- Pressure, Indicators and Resilience of coastal zone and cities
- Integrated coastal zone risk assessment and management
3. Development of an Environmental research platform for the Seto Inland Sea
based on high-resolution 3D baroclinic circulation modelling and wave modelling with the unstructured mesh system
4. Non-linear trend estimation of sea-level records using empirical mode decomposition (EMD) and its advancements
Bangladesh is not one of the most vulnerable countries anymore but the most vulnerable country to SLR in the world! In this collaborative research project with IDEC, Hiroshima University (HU), we conducted the following sub-researches.
5. Development of a seamless inundation model for coastal and river mouth regions with adaptive mesh refinement (AMR)
Tides and tidal currents are significant factors in the coastal environment of the Seto Inland Sea. The tsunami hazards in the Seto Inland Sea are anticipated in the near future due to the potential Nankai Trough earthquakes. Therefore, it is important and has to be investigated how the tides and strong tidal currents in flood and ebb tides affect tsunami propagations in the Seto Inland Sea.
6. Urban climate projection in the Southeast Asian megacities by a dynamic downscaling method
In many developing countries in Southeast Asia, cities are growing under rapid urbanization. In this joint research, the urban heat island (UHI) phenomena under the master plan of the southeast Asian megacities, such as Hanoi, Jakarta, Bandung and Mumbai, are investigated using urban climate modelling. Mitigation and adaptation measures for the UHI in different spatial scales will be proposed based on the modelling results.